The basketball-less three days between the tip of the primary weekend of the NCAA match and the beginning of the Candy 16 are all the time among the many most painful on the sports activities calendar. Fortunately, the insanity returns Thursday night time and doesn’t go away us once more till a Last 4 has been established.
Earlier than we get to that time, listed below are 16 issues it is best to know in regards to the 2022 crop of Candy 16 groups and matchups.
1. Duke is a 1-point underdog for Thursday night time’s sport in opposition to Texas Tech, making this simply the fourth time in 26 Candy 16 appearances beneath Coach Okay that the Blue Devils haven’t been favored. Every of the opposite thrice Duke has been an underdog within the Candy 16, the Blue Devils have gone on to lose.
If Duke breaks that pattern, Mike Krzyzewski will win his one centesimal all-time NCAA match sport. His 99 victories are already essentially the most of any coach in historical past.
2. North Carolina and UCLA are each showing within the Candy 16 for the thirty fifth time in program historical past, placing them tied for second in all-time second weekend appearances. Kentucky leads the best way with 44 all-time Candy 16 appearances.
3. When UCLA and North Carolina sq. off on Friday, it is going to be simply the third NCAA match assembly between two of essentially the most storied applications in school basketball historical past. The Bruins topped the Tar Heels within the 1968 nationwide championship sport, and UNC knocked off UCLA within the second spherical of the 1989 Massive Dance.
The matchup is one among two within the Candy 16 that characteristic groups which have beforehand performed each other in a nationwide title sport. Villanova and Michigan squared off within the 2018 nationwide championship, with the Wildcats rolling to a 79-62 win. They’ll look to go 3-0 all-time versus the Wolverines in March Insanity with a win Thursday night time.
4. Gonzaga is seeking to turn into simply the fourth No. 1 general seed to chop down the nets for the reason that NCAA match choice committee started designating a No. 1 general seed in 2004. Florida (2007), Kentucky (2012) and Louisville (2013) are the one earlier high canines to get the job accomplished.
The Zags have been additionally the No. 1 general seed a 12 months in the past, however fell to a different No. 1 seed, Baylor, within the nationwide championship sport.
5. Each seed line from 1-8 has produced no less than one nationwide champion apart from the 5-seed line. No. 5 seeds have made it to the Last 4 seven occasions (most just lately Auburn in 2019), the nationwide title sport thrice, however have by no means been capable of be the final crew standing.
Houston, which can face top-seeded Arizona within the late sport on Thursday, is the one 5-seed nonetheless standing this 12 months.
Sadly for the Cougars, No. 5 seeds are simply 9-47 all-time in video games in opposition to No. 1 seeds.
6. There have been six additional time video games already within the 2022 NCAA match, tying it for the second most all-time. Seven is the document variety of additional time video games in a single NCAA match, shared by the 1995, 1997 and 2014 Massive Dances.
7. Gonzaga is showing within the Candy 16 for the seventh consecutive NCAA match, the longest energetic streak in school basketball and tied for the third-longest of all-time. North Carolina (1985-93) and Duke (1998-2006) are tied for the document with 9 consecutive Candy 16 appearances.
It also needs to be famous that Michigan is within the Candy 16 for a fifth consecutive match, placing them tied for the fifth-longest streak of all-time.
8. Similar to a 12 months in the past, 4 double-digit seeds — No. 10 Miami, No. 11 Iowa State, No. 11 Michigan and No. 15 Saint Peter’s — have crashed the Candy 16, making this the primary time in historical past we’ve got had back-to-back NCAA tournaments with 4 double-digit seeds enjoying their method into the second weekend.
The document for many double-digit seeds in a Candy 16 is 5 again in 1999.
9. At the very least one energy convention crew seeded ninth or worse has reached the Candy 16 in each NCAA match since 2008. This 12 months, similar to in 2021, we’ve got three — No. 10 Miami, No. 11 Iowa State and No. 11 Michigan.
10. No. 10 Miami vs. No. 11 Iowa State is simply the fourth all-time Candy 16 assembly between a No. 10 and No. 11 seed. Every of the opposite thrice this has occurred, the underdog has received the sport, and in two of the thrice this has occurred (2011 VCU and 2016 Syracuse), the underdog has gone on to crash the Last 4.
Miami is at the moment a 2.5-point favourite over Iowa State.
11. With No. 11 Iowa State and No. 11 Michigan each nonetheless dancing, no less than one 11-seed has reached the Candy 16 in seven of the final eight NCAA tournaments.
12. Surprisingly, there are three ACC groups — Duke, North Carolina and Miami — nonetheless standing. This marks the fourth consecutive 12 months that the ACC has despatched a number of groups to the Candy 16, the longest energetic streak of any convention in school basketball. The Massive Ten noticed its run of 12 consecutive tournaments with a number of groups within the Candy 16 snapped final 12 months.
13. Baylor’s second-round loss to North Carolina assured not solely that this would be the 14th straight match with no back-to-back nationwide champion, however the 14th straight 12 months that the reigning nationwide champ has did not make it again to the Last 4.
Since Florida received the second of consecutive championships in 2007, right here’s how the reigning champ has fared within the NCAA match:
2008: Florida – Missed match
2009: Kansas – Candy 16
2010: North Carolina – Missed match
2011: Duke – Candy 16
2012: Connecticut: – First spherical
2013: Kentucky – Missed match
2014: Louisville – Candy 16
2015: Connecticut – Missed match
2016: Duke – Candy 16
2017: Villanova – Second spherical
2018: North Carolina – Second spherical
2019: Villanova — Second spherical
2021: Virginia — First spherical
2022: Baylor — Second spherical
14. Fourteen of the 16 groups nonetheless standing have been to no less than one Last 4 of their program’s historical past. Solely Miami and Saint Peter’s have did not play in a nationwide semifinal. The Peacocks are within the Candy 16 for the primary time, whereas the Hurricanes are enjoying their fourth Candy 16 sport, however searching for their first victory within the match’s third spherical.
15. Saint Peter’s is simply the third No. 15 seed within the historical past of the NCAA match to crash the Candy 16. No 15-seed has ever performed in a regional remaining.
In 2013, Florida Gulf Coast rolled into the second weekend with back-to-back 10-point wins, however was bounced by third-seeded Florida, 62-50. Final 12 months, Oral Roberts pushed one other 3-seed, Arkansas, to the brink earlier than lacking a final second shot and falling by a bucket.
What. A. Recreation.
Max Abmas misses on the buzzer as No. 3 Arkansas holds off No. 15 Oral Roberts and advances to the Elite Eight
(by way of @marchmadness) pic.twitter.com/DbzbQaSbrd
— Sports activities Illustrated (@SInow) March 28, 2021
The Peacocks will attempt to break the pattern by taking down No. 3 seed Purdue within the first sport to tip-off (7:09 p.m. ET) Friday night time.
16. In every of the final eight NCAA match second weekends, no less than one crew seeded fifth or worse has received a pair of video games to seize a regional title and crash the Last 4. In seven of these eight tournaments, a crew seeded seventh or worse has gotten the job accomplished.
2021 — No. 11 UCLA
2019 — No. 5 Auburn
2018 — No. 11 Loyola-Chicago
2017 — No. 7 South Carolina
2016 — No. 10 Syracuse
2015 — No. 7 Michigan State
2014 — No. 7 Connecticut and No. 8 Kentucky
2013 — No. 9 Wichita State
No. 5 Houston, No. 8 North Carolina, No. 10 Miami, No. 11 Michigan, No. 11 Iowa State and No. 15 Saint Peter’s all have an opportunity to maintain that pattern rolling this weekend.