Because the Russia-Ukraine battle enters its eighth day, we check out the foremost developments.
These are the important thing occasions so removed from Wednesday, March 3, the eighth day of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine:
Russia advances within the south
- Russian forces take the Black Sea metropolis of Kherson in southern Ukraine, a major victory for Moscow after a string of navy setbacks. Russian forces additionally encompass Mariupol, the place “terrifying combating” is reported.
- Ukraine’s second metropolis Kharkiv continues to return below extreme Russian shelling, with police and college buildings among the many newest struck.
‘Large explosions’ heard in Kyiv
- Ukrainian media say a number of “huge explosions” have been heard within the capital, Kyiv, triggering air-raid sirens amid combating on the outskirts of the capital.
First Russian toll
- Russia says 498 of its troops have been killed in Ukraine, its first declared dying toll since President Vladimir Putin launched his invasion on February 24. The true variety of casualties on all sides will not be identified. The United Nations has recorded no less than 227 civilian deaths, however says the true toll is probably going larger.
Battle crimes probe
- The Worldwide Prison Courtroom’s chief prosecutor says an energetic probe into potential battle crimes in Ukraine “will instantly proceed” after his workplace obtained the backing of 39 international locations.
- Russia moots the opportunity of discussing a ceasefire in talks with Ukraine anticipated to be held on Thursday on the Belarus-Poland border
UN calls for Russia’s withdrawal
- The UN Normal Meeting overwhelmingly adopts a decision demanding Russia “instantly” withdraw from Ukraine. Moscow wins assist from solely 4 different nations – Belarus, North Korea, Eritrea and Syria.
Russian jets enter Swedish airspace
- The Swedish Armed Forces say 4 Russian fighter jets entered Sweden’s air area to the east of the island of Gotland within the Baltic Sea.
1 million refugees flee combating
- Greater than one million refugees have now fled the combating in Ukraine, with the UN calling it the quickest exodus of individuals this century. “In simply seven days we now have witnessed the exodus of 1 million refugees from Ukraine to neighbouring international locations,” the UN Excessive Commissioner for Refugees, Filippo Grandi, says in a Twitter put up.
Wounded Russian troops in Belarus
- The Related Press, citing docs and residents, mentioned Russian troopers wounded in combating round Kyiv are being ferried to a Belarus hospital close to the Ukraine border.
Russian superyachts within the Maldives
- A minimum of 5 superyachts owned by Russian billionaires have been anchored or cruising within the Maldives, an Indian Ocean island nation that doesn’t have an extradition treaty with the US, ship-tracking information confirmed.