A marine park that’s recognized for animal struggling and loss of life isn’t a spot for a celebration—however some colleges didn’t get the memo. Some nonetheless suppose it’s OK to bop the evening away subsequent to pissed off, lonely animals who stay in distress 24/7.
SeaWorld confines whales, dolphins, and others to small concrete tanks, the place they slowly go insane from stress and frustration. To create generations of animals the corporate can exploit for revenue, employees sexually abuse and impregnate dolphins and whales, typically after drugging them. It’s a enterprise constructed on the struggling of clever, social animals who’re denied all the things that’s pure and vital to them.
In case your faculty is planning an occasion at SeaWorld or one other marine park or shady aquarium, there are steps you’ll be able to take to get it moved:
- First, examine up! Analysis the problems with SeaWorld or the power in query and are available ready with speaking factors and information concerning the difficulty.
- Meet with directors and the occasion planning committee (this could possibly be a pupil physique or the PTA) and current the the reason why the venue needs to be modified.
- Suggest an alternate venue—like a corridor or one other occasion area that doesn’t exploit animals.
- If decisionmakers don’t budge, don’t cease. Be persistent. Get assist from different college students by creating a web-based petition and launching a marketing campaign with College students Opposing Speciesism. E-mail us at [email protected], and take a look at our information to creating your individual marketing campaign right here.
- Inform your classmates in order that they’ll get behind you! Hand out flyers (we’ll ship them to you at no cost), arrange an information desk, and manage a movie screening of Blackfish or The Cove.
- In case your faculty says it’s too late to maneuver the venue this 12 months, get it to decide to by no means once more utilizing a marine park as an occasion area.
Want inspo? Take a look at one San Diego pupil’s marketing campaign—which finally led to victory—to relocate his promenade from SeaWorld to a different venue and one other pupil’s story of transferring her homecoming from an aquarium to a venue that doesn’t damage animals.